Friday, January 1, 2010

Last Meals

Happy New Year! I hope 2010 brings you many good times and many good meals.

I have to imagine that a few of you may be wondering what I chose as my last meals for 2009. On 12/30/09, I made plans to eat at one of my favorite Italian joints, DePalma's. Now something I foresee making this resolution challenging is that I associate memories with food and restaurants. DePalma's was the first "nice-r" sit down place that my mother and I went to just the two of us. In 2000, it was the place recommended by our good friend, Josh Payne, as the spot to have our first anniversary dinner. It's one of my go-to places for suggested birthday or pre-op lunches. Even my 2005 undergrad graduation meal was there and it was the last meal I had with my mother, father, and sister (hubs, kid, in-laws were there too) in the same room. And friends, I have these types of stories for so many places.
So, my son and I go to DePalma's, where I have my usual, Chicken Pasta DePalma, with extra sauce on the side. It's not a long meal, but I do enjoy eating out with my kid. He's getting older and I don't know how much longer I get to cart him around for our little date nights. He mutated into a tween this year and all those promises that he made at 5 years old to always want to hold my hand & for me to be his favorite girl, I feel are getting harder for him to keep. Our morning breakfast had even been BoJangles that morning, which our routine is to see which of us ends up with the larger of the two chicken biscuits. It is never me. Never. You know you are a fast foodie when your kid brags that he always gets the larger BoJangles biscuit in random conversation, as if that makes any contextual sense to any discussion.
On New Year's Eve, I bought my last Chick-Fil-A chicken biscuit. Quite honestly Chick-Fil-A will need a post of itself from me, as my favorite place to eat and because I am a nut about it!
And here it is, my last bought meal. Loco's hot wings. I know it's kinda disappointing. Loco's was one of the few places that were delivering on NYE, once again proving why we need a change because it was just lazy to not even eat someplace and something more exciting, or at least more Katherine-like.
As if the heavenly creatures above were rooting me on, all of these last meals... were not so great. My chicken biscuits were more of the Saturday rush variety than the buttery weekday ones (What you can't tell which day is the best to get your fast food, from each of your favorite Establishments?). At DePalma's, I was suppose to meet friends and through my phone difficulties, we were not able to meet up. And the worst one of all, Loco's delivery was running so late (understandably!) that I only was able to spend about 3 minutes with one of my dearest friends at the NYE party before she had to leave... to return to work in London. That's a whole country away!
It was as if I was receiving tiny signs that this is not only a good idea, a funny traipse for you readers, but that my eating lifestyle has interrupted more than just my wallet's ability to show off to it's other wallet friends. I feel excitingly motivated for the new year and for this hopeful change in lifestyle. The only thing left now is to go food shopping for ... real food. Talk about blog worthy!
Happy 2010 everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment