Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Burnt Water


One very large, very important aspect of this challenge is that I don't cook. Many of these posts will not be me simply whining about my home-bound meals, but the preparation of them too. Let me assure you then you are in for some good times, because I... I am an awful cook, or more like an awful food prepare-er. My son likes to tell people that I can burn water. On top of all of this, I will be honest. I don't like to cook, I do not enjoy it. When I taste the food of my foodie friends, it hints of effort, patience, and a little bit of love in each bite. My food tastes like resentment.

Also, some people have a basic understanding of "food stuff." I spent 30 minutes in the grocery produce section (which I just wrote vegetable section before I could look up "produce") trying to find green onions. Initially, I thought that I just had to get "white onions" that were greenish, like bananas are sometimes. Then I had to stop and ask a woman, after countlessly pacing back and forth in the onion section and talking/swearing to myself, if white and green onions were the same thing. In case you are hanging on the outcome, they are not and she directed me to the correct section to pick up these long scallion looking things. Then upon seeing them, realized I had no idea how to cut them, where to start and stop cutting, and what was I suppose to do that the outer rings/skins kept coming off in my fingers before each slice of my knife. I had to YouTube clip how to cut them and what parts to use (which I have an aversion to green food, so I did not cut very high up the stalk). I have spent over an hour of my life on green onions, and it all has taken place over one day.

I just know that now is the time for me to start making meals for my family. Besides for saving money, I hope that we will be eating healthier. I hope that we (well, my son & I) are not too old to learn some table manners, as we dust off our table (which in our 10 year family, we have only had for 2 years) and eat at home. I hope, that while I do not expect to develop a love of cooking, that I will grow to at least have a respect for it. We don't like doing chores, but we know they have to get done. I want to create a habit of cooking. Don't let this turn you off as I hope to make cooking my friend, just the kind of friend that teases and torments you as much as you mock and taunt them. My sarcastic, drama-filled friend, Cooking.

On a slow blog day, I will bring tears to your eyes over my meatloaf story of 2003.

I can't wait to regale you with tales of my pallid attempts because if they even make one person laugh, it's worth the risk of potential food poisoning to my family friends!

1 comment:

  1. ok, if you ever listen to anything i say, make it this advice: immediately go buy 'how to cook everything' by mark bittman. it teaches you how to do everything from cut an onion to poach an egg, and has cool little lists of ideas like 'things to put on top of french toast.' it's in my top 3 favorite cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete