Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Coffee: Cups or Containers


I had to go off coffee for 6 weeks after my brain surgery. (In mid October of 2009, it was discovered that my years of severe neck pains, headaches and other things stemmed from having a Chiari Malformation.) I had surgery for it on November 4, and long story short, got to have coffee once I was off the narcotics about 6 weeks later.

I was talking with one of my physical therapists during that time about how many cups of coffee I drank a day. I said usually I only have 1-2 cups every day, thinking that was not so bad. Then he asked me if that was "cups" or "mugs." This may not be as shocking for you as it was for me, but I thought cups of coffee referred to containers, as in what said coffee was being held in, versus a measuring cup of coffee.

Yes, when I go, or when I used to go to Starbucks, Jittery Joe's, Cups, Espresso Royale (step away Katherine, step away. They will still be there when you get done with this. deep breathes and continue), I would get the largest size available, but consider it to be a cup of coffee, right?

So, my average intake of coffee was probably more like 6 cups a day. Now, I find myself making my own coffee with the cup measurements on the pot itself and it seems overwhelming how much coffee I drink, and then throw in some black tea about twice a day, it's a lot of caffeine.

Yesterday was particularly strong coffee day, as I filled up my huge travel cup with coffee for the drive to the kid's school to drop him off, the two mugs I had of coffee at work (recalling that I am only there until noon-ish), and then meeting a friend for an afternoon talk, where she bought me a medium sized caramel latte (so espresso shots too). All of this before 2:30, probably means what possible 10+ cups of coffee?! Of course with no lunch, I got coffee rot belly and with serious school drama & being dropped from my classes and having my financial aid disrupted, it only made the belly a little worse, exemplified by the idea that I wanted another cup for comfort of the afternoons mishaps.

Did anybody else just come to the realization that cups and containers of coffee were not the same thing? Or was I once again the kid that realized that Santa wasn't real a little too late in life?

2 comments:

  1. I've never been a coffee fan, unless of course, it included mountains of vanilla, chocolate, sugar, or whipped cream (or all of the above). So I decided to train my taste buds for tea, so I could order some mature, educated beverage (Dr. Pepper doesn't count, right?). And it's healthier too. I do 1 cup (a real cup) every other day or so. If I'm sick, I up the serving, and I think it really helps me get better.
    Now if only the caffeine actually gave me some kind of energy like it does for everyone else...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned the difference between cups and "cups" while I was prego. It was also over caffine intake, even though I love coffee more now than I ever have. I still only allow myself one "cup"/thurmos/mug about every other day. Anything more than that and I can feel it hurts my body.

    ReplyDelete