Monday, January 25, 2010

What's Missing?

Maybe it's just because I have my souvenir Harvard tshirt on today and so my breasts feel really smart and aware, but I have recently come to the realization that I have not had a hamburger this entire year. Hamburgers are for me, not so much a "favorite," but definitely a staple. Fast food would barely exist without hamburgers, even from the point of view of a Chick-Fil-A fan such as myself. I am partial to cheeseburgers myself, and totally plain (no veggies, unless mushrooms count, which my real foodies will tell me does not). I like a rare burger too, regardless of the health concerns. I was once walked out on while on a date because my rare burger I was consuming... well it sorta dripped into my hand and down my forearm. Date went pale, excused himself to the bathroom, never to return again. I can't recall what color that guy's eyes were, but I can tell you I still remember how good that burger was.
I even think I know how to make a good cheeseburger, with breadcrumbs, seasoning salt and such. I think I have just considered it easier to simply be a dollar menunnaire (McD's) and grab a burger for a buck then what it could cost to make burgers at home.
Today I found that to be SOOO true. This is particularly because the hubs is not one who shops by the price tag, but we spent $18 to make 3 burgers today. That was a head of lettuce (yes, most is still in the 'fridge), one tomato, one onion, a pack of 8 potato bread buns, 2lbs of beef (at $4.95 a lb! Where's my cheap turkey meat?), and 2 boxes of cereal at $1.99 a box.
Readers, you know else happened? The burgers were only "kinda good." They weren't bad, the hubs does not make much bad food. It just was not what one would wait for 26 days for. Could it be that I have forgotten what a good burger tastes like? The hubs LOVED his burger, teased us for not fawning over his meaty masterpiece. I think I am going to try again in a month to make my own burgers. Until then, I can always tell him it was the BEST burger I have had all year!

2 comments:

  1. Burgers are actually really hard. I don't make them -- the spouse does it, and only grills them. It's all about fat -- so, was your expensive beef from Earth Fare? If so, it was probably really lean, and that makes a BAD burger.

    Don't lose hope. And eat the rest of that lettuce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burgers are great... And it is all about fat. Try the ground chuck variety of beef. You'll have not complaints, even from yourself... but use nothing over 15% lean ((85/15) on the ol' grocery store tag).

    And the hubs (don't mind if I give him a name, let's say "Chad"...) will be enjoying, as well. The key to remember is more fat = more shrink. The only reason I know this is "experience"

    ReplyDelete