Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day Three


Let's just say I have to go to the grocery store every single day for this to work. Today only for another pie shell, as I made tomato pie! Below you will find the recipe & it is as my hubs said today, "the best thing I have ever made." My friend, Mel, brought this to book club end of the year foodie month, and out of loads of delicious dessert-like items this (more like a side) winner shone through! This time I did not use a graham cracker crust, as I did the first time. My first attempt resulted in graham cracker crust since I knew crusts were suppose to be tan colored and that was all I found in the baking aisle (it took 2 days later to find out that there were some regular baking crusts in the frozen aisle. This is also where my green onion story was from when making the pie the first time. This time was much easier even though I still needed the directions every 15 seconds. Here are my pie pictures (coming soon)!

This morning I made cinnamon french toast for my kid, Laurie and I, and I don't think that turned out too bad.

Dinner will be made tonight by the hubs. A chicken in white wine (casserole) w/ portabellas. it is my favorite meal he makes. I just think that he had a hard time getting started after not having to do much of the cooking lately because I kept having to do the prompts, "I sure will be hungry in an hour" or "I bet dinner does not make itself." Poor fella, if he said those things to me I would put a lot more than resentment into the food. And then, it happened a meal explosion. The mushrooms were bad, not not tasty, but possibly expired to a point of toxicity. The casserole gets pulled out of the over and I hear Hubs say, "Oh no!", and he was right it was "oh no", almost a "hell no".
You know what i do usually in a situation like that, readers? Call my closest pizza joint and we are back on track. However just like this afternoon when my hubs picked up a pack of cigarettes and asked if I needed anything from inside the gas station (shooting danger angry eyes), that not what I can do. Readers, you would have been proud. I pulled out some Bertolli mushroom raviolis, grabbed the jar of vodka sauce, grated some white cheddar cheese, 9Laurie made some broccoli because, yes I do keep veggies in my house even if I don't eat them), and in 10 minutes after casserole is out of the oven, new meal! I would have preferred my hubs meal, but this was pretty good too!

Another slice of the fudgy pie for dessert, and Laurie, the boys and I were (I hope) well feed for the day!



Mel's Amazing Tomato Pie
9 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
10-12 basil leaves, chopped (or one teaspoon dried basil)
2 – 9” pie shells
6-8 medium tomatoes
6 slices bacon
1 TBSP garlic salt
½ bunch green onions (SCALLIONS)
2 cups mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste


Fry bacon, drain, finely chop and reserve. Peel tomatoes. Slice thinly and place on paper towels to drain. Sprinkle tomatoes with garlic salt. Combine mayonnaise, cheese, green onions, salt and pepper for the topping and reserve. Cook pie shells according to directions. In the cooked pie shell, layer the tomatoes, bacon and basil. Cover completely with the topping. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes until golden brown. Serves 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment