Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 1


Of course right now is the exciting time. I am all energetic about the little things and the small inconveniences are more like fuel for funny stories. However, I am aware that I am still "on break", that neither school or work will resume for 4 more days. Hopefully, I will use the time wisely. Today, I went through a cook book and attached Post-Its with the ingredients I do not typically possess in my house, so that I could just grab one and run to the store. I think that may be a good idea until I figure out how to grocery shop. I could also see patterns of food I should keep in my house, such as beef broth (what the cuss is that?). However all of this occurred after I went to the grocery store. Let me share with you one thing I learned today. I shop for groceries the same way I shop for clothing. I see one item, I like it, I get it. It does not matter if it goes with a single thing in my house. This is why I own 30 skirts I never wear and the same gray Tshirt once a week, much like always making the same 3 meals over & over.
So, that is what happened today when I got up to the grocery store. I had no plan and no idea how to actually shop for "meals." I was throwing in random things, not creating meals, not equating entree ingredients. Essentially I spent an hour pushing the cart (I did not even get a big cart, but the mini ones) around, feeling those first impressions of "what the hell did I get myself into?".
The day turned itself around though, as I made grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch for the family, and then met up with friends to walk around our college town. Some of my closest friends are in from Austin, TX & Harper, Liberia. Again in my town, there are three big things you do when folks come in from out of town; eat, coffee, alcohol. So as we were walking we stopped into a wonderful local coffee shop, ERC, and my lovely friends got hot tea. Here is why I was so happy today. Not only did I get to ask for just a hot cup of water (thanks), but as we walked out I got to place in the cup my Black Chai tea bag that I had remembered to tuck away in my purse. (I even took a picture to load on here & will load it asap). Yeah!
I then split from my friends as they went out for Thai food, and went home for pasta and vodka sauce, my staple comfort meal, & made my boy Ramen, his staple comfort meal. We made it through Day One with no bought meals.
But wait... all of a sudden we (the 6 out of town pals, my hubs, kid & I) decide to go to the dollar theatre and see The Fantastic Mr. Fox (which was truly fantastic). Readers, place those fingertips to you cheeks and wait for the smile. I remembered to pack up snacks to bring! Swedish Fish and Sour Patch Kid mini packs from Halloween, M&M party mix in baggies, and assorted peanut butter cups. I was just so excited I could hardly wait to come home and type this all up.
So, today was a success. Tomorrow, I have a dinner party for 8 people in which I am preparing lasagna, salad (which I don't eat so I don't really know what I should put in there versus, setting up a build your own salad on the table, I'll let you know), and the kid and I will be making from scratch the dessert, a fudgie brownie pie with caramel sauce. Pictures will be taken. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment