Saturday, January 9, 2010

White Bowl of Noodles


There is this dish, more accurately a contraption, that I make as the ultimate comfort food. It has all my favorite ingredients, pasta, sour cream, cheese, garlic and wine. But that is also the only ingredients. It is a bowl of everything that will give you a heart attack at 30. If that is not enough the preparation is kinda a joke. I think this sprung from a strognoff recipe I tried that I destroyed so terribly that I was left with something I thought tasted delicious but was not a food consistency that I would offer anyone. I heat the wine to boiling (this is going to kill you, I wanted this meal so much last night that I actually used what I had left of a Riesling and a white chardonnay, because I did not have enough of either and mixed the two), then cut 2 cloves of garlic (making sure they are big enough slices to pull out with my fingers later), toss in, scoop out about 8oz of sour cream, toss in. Then I start to shred what ever white cheese I have, usually white cheddar, and toss it in. Then when the cheese is melted, I take it off the heat and let it begin to .... coagulate (it there a better word?). I dump it on noodles and have to eat it with both a fork and spoon because typically the consistency is that of water. I do not feed this to my family, though the hubs has had the occasional bite, always saying that each batch tastes different. I tend to think it sublime and during the 2 months I had off probably made it 3-4 times a week. If there is a Golden Bowl, then I could call this the White Bowl. Let me know if you ever want to come over for some! (*I load pictures at work, so you can see this on Monday)

I woke up this morning with the most intense dry mouth you could imagine. Some time in the night my new phone went off, with its not yet familiar chiming ring tone, from the front room where I had left it. I was dreaming and heard this sound and started out of my house, pushing a grocery cart full of nondescript items (the cart is either from The Road** or because I have to go to the grocery store almost every freakin' day), chasing after this sound. I finally begin to catch up with it, and it's an ice cream truck! Now, this is the most run-down ice cream truck you could imagine, I'm surprised there are people in it let alone ice cream. It does not matter because I am overwhelmed by the desire for ice cream. I wait my turn in line, and as I go to buy an orange push-up or drumstick, I am informed that they have heard of my NYR and told me I can not buy one. I start attempting to barter things out of my grocery cart, like brooms and jars of moonshine, and yet they will not give me an ice cream. I woke up from the dream feeling desolate and frustrated.
** The Road was such an amazing book, and I have somehow continued to put things into reference of the man and the boy. I will share this one with you readers. I was getting my eyebrows waxed and yes, I am a wimp for pain. So, as she is ripping away my thick, Greek heritage from my face, all I was thinking of was, "calm down Katherine, the man and the boy could take this"! Maybe for inspiration, as Julie had Julia and Max Stevens had fighting corporate greed, I could lean of the man and the boy for support! It's just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment