Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bowtie Festival

Since I could not go out to eat and I have started missing some of my favorite meals, I have found that I can make them myself, or at least attempt to. I have been prone in the past to suggest Johnny Carino's Bowtie Festival fairly often for a lunch choice, even though as the Liberian Lovely can attest, I never finished my plate (portions), but the meal was so worth it.
Readers! Guess what! I did it! It is now the best thing I have ever made. I spent 5 solid minutes after it was finally all together in giddy glee, hopping back and forth, yelling and texting people. I was insane. I love eating this. I am eating the leftovers as I type this up now (yes, it's 8:30am).
Readers, some of my insanity was because I struggled with this. First, it took me a solid hour to make this. Suggested prep time 20 minutes (that includes cooking). Second, it was the most I have spent for one recipe since starting this, so hence also EVER. Next, I had to call the Pink Haired Professor in a fury while I had food on the stove about to put in my next ingredient, only to find that I did not have something to measure out ounces, and freaked out! The Magic Chef knew it in like 30 seconds flat... it was like magic! I also now have the food assistance amendment where I am no longer to apologize (probably not 15 times in a 2 minute phone call either) for asking questions. BTW, 1 ounce = 3 tbsp.
..... Also there was this.
I did not read the instructions in full first to realize all that needed to be done, or in what time, or whatever. So, I did not cook my alfredo sauce until it appeared on the list, which was at the end, so I did not know how I would cool it. When I was cooking the pasta (again, because I did not read the directions clearly enough to cook the pasta! I was going to throw uncooked pasta in there. Ahhh!) I stuck the alfredo sauce in the freeze so it could cool off. Yes, I know Alton Brown is rolling in his spectacles right now and that I am sure that this disrupts the micro cellular composition or something, but I thought this was clever!
I finally got all my ducks in the same row and this meal was so delicious! The hubs could not stop smiling at me bc I was just that spastically enthused. After the fourth time of saying that I even made the alfredo sauce by myself, the kid started teasing me and I knew that it was time to settle down. Below you will find the recipe for what topped off my night!

JOHNNY CARINO'S BOWTIE FESTIVAL
1 oz. Melted butter
1 tsp. Chopped fresh garlic
1/8 cup Diced red onion
1/8 cup Diced cooked bacon
1/4 cup Diced Roma tomatoes
3 oz. Sliced cooked chicken
1 oz. Heavy (whipping) cream
3 oz. Alfredo sauce (recipe follows)
1/8 cup Asiago cheese
1/2 tsp. Salt, pepper, and garlic salt
10 oz. Precooked bowtie pasta
ALFREDO SAUCE
1 quart Heavy whipping cream
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp. Black pepper
1/4 cup Whole milk
Preparation
In a heated saute pan combine butter, garlic, onions, bacon, tomatoes, chicken, and spice mixture. When onions begin to turn translucent, add heavy cream and Asiago cheese.
Once cheese and cream have reduced by half, add Alfredo sauce and bowtie pasta. Toss until well combined and remove from fire. Allow to cool for a few minutes so the cheese and sauce thicken. Saute heavy cream, milk, and black pepper to a consistent boil. Remove cream mixture from heat and fold in parmesan cheese. Store completed sauce in refrigerator until use.

2 comments:

  1. that pink haired professor really lays down the law when offering her assistance ;)

    ReplyDelete