Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Easter & Butter

Regardless of my personal spiritual background, I really adore cultural and religious ceremonies of all kinds. Previously my favorite Easter event was The Chapel's downtown egg hunt, which started at 11pm and all the prizes in the eggs were free drinks at the bar. One grand egg, and yes, yours truly found it, was redeemable for a grand basket with a crown in it! However this tradition below may have me moving to Poland right now!
The Baranek Wielkanocny, or Easter Butter Lamb is a hunk of butter shaped into a woolly lamb to celebrate Easter in Poland. You might find one in your Easter basket or use it as a centerpiece for the holiday feast. If the local priest is blessing baskets of Easter foods before they are laid out for the meal, the Butter Lamb is always included. They are sold in delis around the holiday or you can make your own at home.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I remember the Chapel's easter egg hunt - so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete