Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Food w/ Love

I don't believe in the 11 years we have been married (or will be next month) that I have ever cooked a meal for the hub's folks (AKA;TMom and TDad). Wait... there was this one time, when tMom was working late shifts and I tried to make Hamburger Helper, and read the direction for to brown meat as "add enough seasoning to make the meat brown." So I served raw, uncooked hamburger meat in Hamburger Helper Cheesy Macaroni. I will say that the Adams' men cared about me enough to almost eat, or at least not mercilessly tease me about, it at the time.
Moving on, Readers, I really wanted to show TMom & TDad that we are so thankful for everything they have ever done for us, and it has been a ridiculous amount. I wanted to find a way to relate that we know we are where and who we are today because of them. I also want them to feel our home is there home, much like they have done for me (I think of their home as my home, as if I grew up there and not that my first time was at 18 in a pair of boy's overalls and a pajama shirt).
So I made dinner!
Readers, I did not expect when starting this NYR that I would realize how much food can represent tokens of love, admiration, compassion and care. Of all the pot lucks my (greatest) friends (ever) have held during the most beautiful times in our lives, during my Big Brain recovery, presented a funerals and babyshowers, it did not ring to me. What can I say, I am a little dense.I think its starting to click.

Probably my first big meal in my kitchen. I made salad, garlic bread, and the bowtie festival dish. I am comfortable with these, and did not want to mess them up on this day. I did still geek out a bit with attempting to time everything, and spent a serrated 3 hours doodling around the kitchen. I had the kid set up a pretty table, or whatever can be set from table composed of a random assortment of Goodwill plates and bowls. I think it still looked really good.
After we got pleasantly stuffed, I asked the kid to "help me in the kitchen" to which he responded, "I want to light the candles"! Obviously he is as tactful as his mom!
we were also celebrating TMom's birthday! We pulled out this, a red (or light easter egg pink) velvet cake that the kid decorated, and picked out twirly candles for. I got the recipe from Picky Palate (http://picky-palate.com/2010/03/04/lucky-green-velvet-baby-cakes/) and improvised on the food coloring, which was why that portion failed!

We played Balderdash, had coffee, cake and overall just a wonderful time. One of my beautiful friends asked if it was strange to celebrate TMom on MJC Day. It's not, here's why. My mom left this earth knowing that there was another mom taking care of me. My mom respected TMom, and would rather I spent that day in laughs and celebration of the moms in my life. So, that's what we did! Happy Birthday TMom!

No comments:

Post a Comment