Friday, April 9, 2010

Remember me?

It's been a while and I have lots of stuff to tell you guys about, but Readers, I just don't have the time to write each separately, like I had been planning, so here comes as much as I can recall and all the pictures I can give you, which is not too many. Buckle In!

Last Saturday, My student (with me as the students, not my student group as in my social workers, which I tend to deem as "my students" as they belong to me) group, UGALLA met, as I have recently become the secretary for the group (who made that executive decision, 'll never know) for a pow-wow session at my place, and we had a breakfast potluck deal. Readers, I made popovers!! My new favorite quick thing to make. My first batch looked like this...

and they were very tasty and mixed with Kiki2krash's rhubarb jam, it was heaven. I wish I had pictures of the rest of the food, while the kid just wishes there was an ever abundant supply of the cinnamon roles that were there.

MONDAY: It was Mrs. Weezy's birthday surprise dinner, which once again was breakfast themed because she and the Freudian Slippers would be coming from their triumphant win in their indoor soccer competition. I made more popovers, a coffee cake with pecans, there were blueberry muffins, and fruit. Boatshoes made 2 amazing quiches, one with tofu (no, I did not try it) and one with sausage (which I had a hearty helping of). Fivel's moms & VA & her hubs imbibed us with mimosas!
TUESDAY: My fav blogger http://katymcarter.com/ was in town from Indy & I got to not only see her and listen to her tales of transfer, but readers, she bought me a beer! Our book club gathered at Trapeze, a bar with a beer list that looks like a novella. Why is it that you realize how much you really like and enjoy people's company after they move? I wish I had eaten with Mrs. Carter or asked her more about books and stuff like that when she resided in Athens. At least I get to stalk her through blogging!
WEDNESDAY: Awards lunch at my job, in a time of financial crisis for education systems, should we be having an awards lunch? Of course not, did that stop me from going, of course not either. I deserve my free meal and moreso, I got to award the third annual Mary Jane Coberth Memorial Award to one of my MSW students, for whom it was well deserved! The MJC award was started... (are you ready for this readers?) when I was an Amazing Student for my Univ and a guy I know through Dance Marathon (who if Seth possessed half the manners he has, I will consider myself a champion mother) showed his mother, who was a former MSW grad, she made a donation to the School (of Social work) in my name. WOW, right? I had never heard of such a thing. She finds out that I plan to use the money for suicide awareness & prevention, and she ends up adding to her contribution so that I could create the MJC Award for 5 years! Insanity, right? The MJC is for MSW student who are looking to work in the area of suicide awareness & prevention & mental health. And... I am pretty proud of it. It makes me feel like I am a little more like Ms. Waltman, who made the donation, because if I could possess her gumption and character, I would consider myself a class act.
See readers, I told you that would be intense. For the awards lunch, we had tortellini, green beans, ham & peach cobbler. It was not much to write about. I get a picture of the MJC award winner up her soon as I get the picture!
THURSDAY: This day was a day of amazing women. First, I had a tasty biscuit when I was invited to go to breakfast with some people who are talking about preparing for their Haiti educational relief trip. Mary, she's cool enough to get to keep her own name, has been going to Haiti for tens of years. She is a nurse, preacher, philantrophist, and smooth talker all balled up into one incredible Southern women. She's got a mouth on her that I love and she had the ability to put two very distinguished faculty in their places... real quick. I wonder how I can make her my new bff?
Next was Dorothy, she gets to keep her name too & there is a building named after her, so it's already well known, who was kind enough to let me tag along on her Meals on Wheels route. She had been on this route for almost a quarter of a century. She knows all her clients/recipients/vistees and dutifully and selflessly inquires about each one. I learned about slumlords and hospice and got good advice from a good mom. She was humble in that she played herself so cool, but I felt like she had a great deal of power inside her like a thunderstorm brewing. I think that may be even more true, because the dark clouds we had all morning did not break & rain until we were finished and pulling back into the agency, as if she was threaten the heavens that they better not rain on our delivery morning!
That was my food week. My only non-food effecting me stuff was that I will have to postpone my comps and prospective class due to the big head stuff, it just gives me more time to make it quality & something I can be proud of. And... that I currently am again without a camera. Wah wah. I have a busted camera chip reader & I have to get a new one, which can be more money than I will have for this month. Yeah for first mortgage payment ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment