Tuesday, March 2, 2010

E-Poo's Birthday!


I have been living with the assumption that this month has been a sort of calendar phenomenon in which all my luck that may have escaped me in the past was all pocketed and is unfolding Right Now. Which means that Sunday (today, as I write this) is my last day of this good luck and then it will hopefully move onto a new person (you guys should start calling “dibs”). A really nice way to come to the close of this fortunate month was having a potluck/ late E-Poo’s Bday dinner/ meeting Megadeath’s Benny! One of the things I would consider myself most fortuitous in life is that I have amazing friends, and so this night really felt like an extension/continuation of my lucky month!
And readers, I finally cooked again. Saturday morning I considered making a Cheese/Meat/ Bean hearty dip. I had most of the ingredients and have never used the Crockpot that I got for my wedding almost 11 years ago. This seemed like a plan, until right in the middle of the grocery, I freaked out a little. I recalled that E-Poo already works at a Mexican restaurant and probably eats that everyday, also with the arrival of Benny I did not want to make any thing related to a food style that I was not familiar with. Freak out in Publix looked like this. I am pushing the cart back and forth the same aisle several times, talking (loudly) to myself, hovering around the rotating free recipes kiosk trying to find a better solution and I came up with… sliders? Exactly, it was a strange choice to move to. I attempted to make Meatball Marinara Sliders, and I ended up with something only slightly off. I bought a bag of “dinner-sized” meatballs in a bag, a jar of garlic & onion sauce, a block of mozzarella cheese, and water rolls. Then I paid no attention to the recipe and just built them! I cut up and toasted the rolls, heated the meatballs in the oven, sliced up odd shapes of cheese and when the hot roll tops came out, I laid the pieces on them to melt. I added the marainara sauce at the bottom of the rolls and then again on top of the meat balls. Since the rolls were much bigger than slider rolls (and the meatballs were small), I placed 3 meats balls on each roll. I think they came out cute, for whatever that is worth. What do you think? Along with my sliders, last night we had a delicious mac n’ cheese with a bit of a kick to it. A fruit salad that we actually devoured, and I believe Teece had 3 blueberries left in the bowl by the time we were done and onto MadGab (Go girls for winning!). Megadeath made tomato and fresh mozzarella covered in sundried tomato and basil oil. I think there was a salad, but I pay no attention to such things. It was a nice spread so to say. I also made a cake for E-Poo’s Bday, a German Chocolate cake with pecan and coconut icing. I got a recipe from Epicurious.com for an Inside-Out German Chocolate Cake. Again, I got overwhelmed and modified it by making the cake part and buying the icing (which is brown, I did not know that, I thought it would be white). Readers, I was so proud I actually had all the ingredients to make a cake already in my house, and I have run out of my first condiment/spice. I used all my vanilla extract. I just think that is exciting. Don’t you? With my luck, I wonder if I go to the grocery today, if I would not find that it was on sale!
Sending all my luck to you,
Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment