Sunday, April 18, 2010

Guest Post from London Lady!

Dear Readers,

While Katherine is going on and on (and on) about not eating out in Georgia, I'm going to tell you about eating out in London. Now I know that the English are renowned for their bad food, but let me tell you, that is an over-simplification.

First of all, let me tell you that there is some really great ethnic food here. This is my favorite restaurant in London. Let me tell you, this is the best Indian food ever. (Coming from a girl who grew up around almost no Indian restaurants. But I have good taste, so trust me.) The saag panir is to die for. I never knew cottage cheese could be like that! There are also other really great Asian places, and obviously tons of great European food. Of course, Mexican food is a joke. It's totally standard for fajitas here to have cauliflower and carrots. As if Mexicans even know what cauliflower is. I cannot speak of the salsa, and they aren't even aware that cheese dip exists. But overall, ethnic food = good.

Now, while we have an abundant supply of curry shops and other great food, that's not what these people eat on a daily basis. Why, you ask? Hell if I know. Instead, they eat sandwiches. And chips (= fries). The sandwiches can be purchased at tons of shops, along with crisps (= chips) and a niceRibena. The thing is, these people could eat a sandwich and chips for every meal for the entirety of their lives, and they would be completely happy. Seriously. I now understand why that potato famine was such a big deal. It must've been like taking a fish out of water. The sandwiches and chips are good and very convenient, but everyday? Get some variety, people.

Also, have you ever heard of jellied eel pie? There are lots of pie shops here. Meat pies. And apparently jellied eels are quite traditional. Don't count on me ever giving you a first-hand account.

This is what I'm NOT eating.

So there is something to the food really sucking here, but there's also really great good!

Stay tuned for more British food eccentricities....

Kind regards, (that's a British saying!)
London Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment