Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cake Auction

(These are all school cakes)
Readers, it’s an old hand by now that I am not buying food out, but I came upon a strange situation, my kid’s annual cake auction. Now I do not have the freedom or liberty to get to be one of those moms that is able to be “room mom” or PTO chair, I am pretty happy when I get that kid to school on time and his clothes are not inside out.

When the kid was first in Pre-K and Kindergarden, I was at his school all the time, probably annoyingly so, as I was an undergrad and did not have a job outside of student and mom. In the last couple years, with working full time and being in graduate school, I am not able to participate in too much with the kid’ school. My one salvation of not feeling like the useless school supportive mom was the annual cake auction. I go big most years, never having bought a cake for less than $40, and usually buying a store made cake for sale also.
Who does not need some more Spongebob in their lives, or mouths?
The cake auction was upon us again and I realized I could not buy a cake from the school. I specifically declared food fundraisers off limits. I felt I had two options, either make a cake, which should have been the easy choice as I am learning to cook and all, but my cook books are all packed up at this point.

The next option was to put in some volunteer hours. That’s what I did, I volunteered for 5 hours, in the morning and evening, for whatever that is worth in the cake auction money to time conversion. This cake was almost 15 pounds, 3 of which were the M&Ms inside the candy glass top. It was the most amazing cake I have ever seen in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment