Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Best Food in the World

Readers, I have moved many times in my life and I don't know that I have that firm feeling of roots. As the first person born in Georgia in my family, I have a right to my southern title, but I do talk a little fast & I usually think of where I'm "from" as New England, even if I never lived there, since that's where my folks are "from." I don't use ya'll, but you guys. I don't like grits, but consider myself as someone who Runs on Dunkin. Then something happened...
I married a true Southern boy. Yes ma'am. His hometown began to morph into my own. He asked me to marry him there on a tree that ran into the local lake. For a while, we raised a kid and da sis there. Lived in our first home there. I laid block (one singular block, but hey, it's my block!) there, and somewhere in all of that, the town won me over.
We don't live there but we get back pretty often, and on Friday of last week we went back to get home owner's insurance (whoa). Readers, we stopped in heaven along the way. Heaven being The Crossing, a local mom and pop shop open weekdays for breakfast and lunch only. Great memories that I have from The Crossing would be early morning picking up the hubs from third shift and stopping by for a bite, or the time Da Sis and I went after staying up for Relay for Life still muddy in our pajamas (our theme was pajamas, it's such a smart theme for having to do anything for 24 hours) but catching that second spastic wind so we could go and grab a ...
biscuit!
Look at this, next to my crazy long finger, the size is mammoth!
Readers, I love some Chick-fil-A, and you know this. There is absolutely no compassion to The Crossing. The crossing taught me to term "cat-head biscuit" (when a biscuit is so huge that it is the size of a large cat's head). There is just not a time when a chain is going to compare to a local food joint like this. The quality is insane. As I bit into my chicken (with shredded cheddar cheese) biscuit, the juices actually squirted out. I was literally hopping in the car as we were eating. The hubs got a tenderloin biscuit with tomatoes & mayo, and they asked him if he would like salt and pepper sprinkled on top of it (followed by the word, "hun"). It's just the best place & I would give up this NYR tomorrow if The crossing was closer to me and not an hour drive away.

1 comment:

  1. OH GOD! It looks better than I remeber!!! I no longer like you or claim you as my sister because I am so jelous. arg!

    ReplyDelete