Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Years Resolution


I eat out… a lot. I’m sure most people think that they eat out too much, but I am here to confide that I reside in the upper echelons of those who eat out. Chick-Fil-A, my favorite restaurant, is open approximately 310 days a year, of those I get a chicken biscuit 300 days out of the year. So, you enjoy a tasty breakfast treat to wake you up in the morning, you are thinking to yourself. The thing is, that’s just breakfast. I eat out for lunch probably 3-4 days a week, certainly on weekends. But the piece de résistance, is dinner. My doting husband, precocious child and I eat out, usually at fast food places, 5 nights out of the week, the other nights either my husband cooks or we “fend for ourselves.” That brings us to an overwhelmingly honest confession of roughly $600 dollars in eating out each month (1/3 of my monthly income after taxes)!
This has made me consider the following most insane New Years resolution, to not pay to eat out for one year, or until 12/25/10 for my Waffle House dinner (more about that later). There are several things happening here of note and clarification. I am not going to not accept being treated to a meal, my in-laws take us regularly for dinner or birthday dinners as gift from friends (who know just how much I love to dine out). If my company has a staff lunch or if I attend a conference where meals are included I will eat them. Wait a minute, I know you think this sounds like cheating and have just rolled your eyes, but these are seldom occurrences, and as will be discussed later, there is a socializing of going out to eat. Let me bring your intrigue back for one moment by presenting more of what I will be giving up with this venture. I am a doctoral student at a large (nationally party ranked) university, that resides in the typical college town atmosphere. Here it comes… I will not be buying coffee or alcoholic drinks (outside of my house) for this entire time. I want to make sure that sinks in… college student, no coffee shops or college bars. Told you, I’d get you back! On top of that, it means no gas station stops for drinks and snacks and no vending machine visitations during work breaks.
My reasoning for this was purely economic at first, I need to find a way to save money and I have run out of ideas/options/blood for the bank. The more I considered what this would entail the more I saw a bigger picture. Ideas of breaking the habits of poor efforts, poor eating and poor parenting began to feel obtainable. Socializing in new ways that do not revolve around a serviced table, or do and me changing how that could be accepted. I don’t want to not go out, I am far too extroverted for that, but now imagine, I could be your designated driver. I could finally be the person who brings more to pot lucks than the sodas. I could help you save money just by being around me… now not only have I just about won you over, but now you want to throw me a thanks for this silly idea.
I will be posting my journey of learning to cook, changing old habits, shifting social activities, and maybe saving a buck or two hundred. I hope you’d like to follow me for the next year as I say to eating out, “Just water, thanks”!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, this is GOOOOOOOOOOOD.
    You'd better do it, and write about it. Reasons being:
    1) You've now set me up for a year of reading about this, and I'm not willing to let go of that gift.
    2) This will be a life-changer; physically, emotionally, and financially. I believe it.
    3) You can totally do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You also need to mention your lack of recipies and cooking skills. Let people know you are an expert foodie but novice cook. Therefore tasty, possibly healthy recipies, with "cooking for dummies" type instructions included, are needed for this "resolution" to work. Good luck!
    --Tess--

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should do a recipes exchange. I don't know how to blog or set one up but you should set one up where we can share recipes, or we can email them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ariel (& Tess) follow this cooking blog. Amazing, intelligent and super funny. The cooking is out of my league, but maybe I'll get there.
    http://katymcarter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go chica bonita! It's easier than you think to cook at home! I eat breakfast at home, pack a lunch for work, and cook dinner at home almost everyday. I love it. It really makes you appreciate and enjoy what you are eating. Maybe we can have a cooking party at your house one night! We can all bring one great recipe that we love and cook it for everyone! What do you think?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check these out Sweetie!!!
    (Did I mention,this is so good and I am sooo proud of you for taking on this challenge?)

    http://www.healthy-quick-meals.com/

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=quick+easy+meals

    Love, Auntie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what about if you go to a conference and food is not included? I am thinking if you are attending BPD in Atlanta this March. Will you bring food in a cooler?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie,
    Good luck with this! It's so inspiring (& funny) to read. I'm very intimidated by cooking and traditionally almost always prefer to eat out. However, with the two kids and moving to Greenland (where there are very limited options), we eat at home a lot more now. So, I thought I'd send along a few ideas that I find easy & might help you.
    1. We buy frozen potstickers and frozen edamame and can make a wicked quick, tasty meal by steaming them both. Yum!
    2. Amy's frozen burritos, frozen meals, etc. They are organic (score!) and super convenient.
    3. Baked potatoes. Wash 'em, poke a few holes in 'em w/a fork, throw 'em in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour. Easy breezy!
    4. One-pot things like pot roast, meatloaf, stuff you can throw in a crockpot. (I hate standing over the stove to tend to things.)
    5. I love The Joy of Cooking for cooking basics (such as what the hell is beef stock or how the heck do you poach something or make a roux?) and the Fannie Farmer Cookbook for baking.
    Good luck!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete